Tri-Clover or Tri-Clamp
Originally called “Tri-Clover” named after the brand and Trademark of Alfa-Laval Hygienic Fittings, the major producer of these sanitary connections, they are also known as “Tri-Clamp”. Tri Clamp is a term initially used to describe the Tri-Clover 3 part clamps; however it has since become a popular way of referring to these sanitary clamps.
Tri-Clamp Fittings General Applications:
- ● These Sanitary Fittings are predominantly used in the food processing industry.
- ● This includes dairy farms, wine farms commercial and micro-breweries.
Benefits of a Tri-Clamp Connection:
- ● They provide a sanitary connection between pipes and tubing.
- ● They are also designed to be CIP (Cleaned in Place) and to be easily taken apart for additional cleaning and replacement.
- ● For a fitting to make a sanitary connection it needs to confirm to the U.S. 3A sanitary standard for hygienic valves and fittings.
- ● The two most important features of the 3A sanitary standard are that there can be no exposed threads in the connection; and there can be no sudden change in the internal diameter.
- ● Since no exposed threads are allowed by the 3A sanitary standard the Tri-clamp by NPT threads are not truly sanitary fittings; however they are widely used in home brewery and by Breweries for certain connections that don’t have to be truly sanitary.
Why use Tri-Clamp Fittings for Home Brew?
- ● The reason these fittings are so popular in homebrew is they make a quick sturdy connection and they are easy to clean.
- ● They also conveniently come in a variety of options with MNPT, FNPT, hose barbs, 90 degree hose barbs and camlock ends, allowing you to conveniently connect TC fittings with hoses, pipe threads and camlock fittings.
How to make a Tri-Clamp Connection
To make a Tri-Clover/Tri-Clamp connection the following are needed:
- One clamp,
- Two Fittings (Ferrule ends or TC Flange ends)
- And a gasket.
- ● A Clamp holds every connection together.
- ● The two Ferrule ended fittings or flange ended Fittings connect face to face.
- ● Each Connection is sealed with a gasket.
- The Clamp fits over the two ferrules and as it tightens it compresses the connection to seal on the gasket.
- The Clamps we offer have a wing nut for easy tightening and loosening without the need for tools.
- The fittings in a sanitary connection can be any combination of a Tri-Clamp Ferrule, a Tri-Clamp by NPT or Hose barb, a Tri-Clamp valve, TC Extension Tube, TC Elbow or Tee, Sight gauge and so forth...
- ● Silicone gaskets are the most suitable gasket for food and beverage applications, including for home brew.
- ● They are heat resistant and form a great seal due to their elasticity.
- ● We also carry the EPDM and PTFE (Teflon™) gaskets. PTFE has a high heat tolerance and chemically compatible with many acids and alkalis. It is also very firm and requires more pressure to get a seal.
Common Tri-Clamp Fittings
- ● Tri-Clamp x Male NPT Threads
- ● Tri-Clamp x Female NPT Threads
- ● Tri-Clamp x Hose Barbs
- ● Tri-Clamp x 90° Hose Barbs
- ● Tri-Clamp x Camlock
- ● Tri-Clamp x Quick Disconnect (QD)
- ● Tri-Clamp x Garden Hose Thread (GHT)
- ● Tri-Clamp x Beer Nut Thread (BNT)
- ● Tri-Clamp x NPT Inside/Outside
- ● Tri-Clover Clamp
- ● Tri-Clamp Ferrule
- ● Tri-Clamp Cap
- ● Tri-Clamp Cap with Cut Outs
- ● Tri-Clamp Cap with Threads
- ● Tri-Clamp Gasket
- ● Tri-Clover Clamp - High Pressure
- ● Tri-Clover Clamp - Double pin
- ● Tri-Clamp Extension Spool Adapter
- ● Tri-Clamp-Cap reducer
- ● Tri-Clamp Concentric Reducer
- ● Tri-Clamp 45° Elbow
- ● Tri-Clamp Elbow
- ● Tri-Clamp Tee
- ● Tri-Clamp Instrument Tee
- ● Tri-Clamp Wye
- ● Tri-Clamp Cross
- ● Tri-Clamp Pressure Guage
- ● Tri-Clamp Sight Glass
- ● Tri-Clamp Check Valve
- ● Tri-Clamp Bulk Head Fitting
- ● Tri-Clamp Pressure Relief Valve
- ● Tri-Clamp CIP Spray Balls
- ● Tri-Clamp Carbonation Stones
- ● Tri-Clamp Thermowell
- ● Tri-Clamp Ball Valves
- ●Tri-Clamp ButterFly Valves
ClCK HERE to purchase Tri-Clover Fittings now